In the light of the recently published ‘A European Strategy for Plastics in a Circular Economy’ document, all stakeholders involved in the life cycle of plastic packaging are striving towards achieving a solution which could curb plastic pollution and its adverse impact on our lives and the environment. Consumers and retailers demand a packaging film which can be 100% recycled or can be completely biologically decomposed. Compostable plastics have the ability to break down, safely and relatively quickly, by biological means, into the raw materials of nature and disappear into the environment (soil). There is a need of a totally compostable wrapping packaging solution (film, label and tray) along with an easy-to-use (and maintain) cost effective packaging machines.
In a response to this market need, the project consortium led by Fabbri Group is developing a platform technology ‘Nature Fresh’ which is a complete compostable film packaging solution targeted specifically at the fresh food packaging markets (meat, fish, dairy, fruit and vegetables). Nature Fresh delivers retailers. food processors, and the common public direct environmental benefits and addresses a current opportunity to reduce the use of plastic. At the same time the product will assist in meeting sustainability initiatives.
Through this 30 months FTI project, the consortium aims to carry out activities such as commercial scale manufacturing of the compostable films, design and development of the automatic wrapping machines, design and development compostable label, gain regulatory approvals and conduct end-user trials to gain market acceptance and a swift market entry by Q2- 2022.
CTME: will deliver product testing and validation to satisfy the regulatory bodies and gain CE marking and regulatory certification as:
• To gain CE marking for the wrapping and labelling machines
• To gain compostability Certification for the Nature Fresh wrapping fim and the labeller system EN13432
• To gain REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and restriction of Chemicals) and CLP compliant
• To meet all requirements for the food contact compatibility safety testing according to the relevant regulatory standards (Regulation N. 10/2011, 1935/2004 and 2023/2006)
• To develop life cycle analysis and environment benefit arguments for the food packaging companies and supermarkets in target markets and to creare common person awareness